I think we need to have a faster release management to speed up process in
general, and for that I propose that we have at least two co-pilots for the
release manager who would support them with things like reviewing/merging
patches, creating RC candidates etc whenever necessary. Having only one person
as a release manager can become a bottleneck for a speedy release.

The other issue is getting people to test a (release) branch, fix bugs and
expect a review/result in 72 hours. This has usually failed if people are busy
and not getting enough time for this. As an example, I think 4.5 is delayed
because it lacked people actively testing it or fixing issues, or when issues
were found only around the RC testing period which delayed RC voting by 1-2
weeks every time that happened. (I’ll post details about where I think we are
wrt 4.5 in another thread).

> On 17-Apr-2015, at 12:49 am, Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com> wrote:
>
> Today during the CloudStackdays  we did a round table about Release
> management targeting the next 4.6 releases.
>

> Quick bullet point discussions:
>
> ideas to change release planning
>
>   - Plugin contribution is complicated because often  a new plugin involve
>   change on the core:
>      - ex: storage plugin involve changes on Hypervisor code
>   - There is an idea of going on a 2 weeks release model which could
>   introduce issue the database schema.
>   - Database schema version should be different then the application
>   version.
>   - There is a will to enforce git workflow in 4.6  and trigger simulator
>   job on  PullRequest.
>   - Some people (I'm part of them) are concerned on our current way of
>   supporting and back porting fixes to multiple release (4.3.x, 4.4.x,
>   4.5.x). But the current level of confidence against latest release is low,
>   so that need to be improved.
>

> So, the main messages is that w'd like to improve the release velocity, and
> release branch stability.  so we would like to propose few change in the
> way we would add code to the 4.6 branch as follow:
>
> - All new contribution to 4.6 would be thru Pull Request or merge request,
> which would trigger a simulator job, ideally only if that pass the PR would
> be accepted and automatically merged.  At this time, I think we pretty much
> have everything in place to do that. At a first step we would use
> simulator+marvin jobs then improve tests coverage from there.
>
> Please comments :-)

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com

CloudStack Software
CloudStack Infrastructure
Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>

intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon
its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company
incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company
incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape
Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is
operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company
registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from