Hi all,

I've run into some limitations in the firewall rule capabilities in the VPC
side that I'm hoping could be addressed in a future release. For VPC networks,
when configuring ACL for tiers you can only manage tier-wide destinations for
inbound or sources for outbound.

What would it take to build in more granularity to these options?

For example, in a tier with one web server and one mail server, I have to allow
Inbound, from 0.0.0.0/0, on TCP 25, 80, 443 etc. This opens these ports to
*all* instances in the tier, assuming they don't have their own OS-level
firewalls running. Now of course only instances with Static NAT configured will
pass traffic but that still permits port 25 to the web server and 80/443 to the
FTP even if I don't want that.

Typical firewall rule sets allow source/destination to be specified, so that we
could open port 25 to the FTP server IP only, and port 80/443 to the web server
only.

The current rules are confusing for a new user with networking background. You
have to understand that when selecting "Ingress" your specified CIDR is a
*source* but when specifying "Egress" it is the destination CIDR.

Thanks for the consideration,

Christopher Falk
Director, Technical Operations
www.reliablenetworks.com