From: Rene Moser [mailto:m...@renemoser.net]
Sent: 18 May 2015 10:13
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Preparing for 4.6

Hi Stephan

On 18.05.2015 10:39, Stephen Turner wrote:
> In my XenCenter dev team at Citrix, we have the policy of requiring a ticket
> number on every commit. If we find a bug and there isn't already a ticket, we
> create a ticket before committing the fix. I guess I've just dug through
> history too many times to understand why something that appears wrong was
> done, only to find an inadequate description at the end of the trail.

IMHO understanding why commit x changed is more a problem of the commit message
or description.

If I pick a random fix commit in the linux kernel,
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/5c1ac56b51b9d222ab202dec1ac2f4215346129d
you see this small fix and a detailed description, why.

Personally I do not like the dependency to network related, centraliced ticket
tracking system for understanding code changes of a distributed SCM.

But I do see the advantage in seeing what has been reported to be broken and
what commit fixes this bug. But the commit description should be fairly
detailed, why a commit changed something.

However since the changelog for the users is actually not generated from the
git log, it makes totally sense to open a ticket before fixing bugs, to get all
fixes covered in the changelog.

Yours
René