On 05/22/2015 11:05 PM, server24 Cloudstack wrote:
> Hi Wido,
>
> was nice talking to you about this.
>
> On 5/21/2015 8:59 PM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>
>> (IPv6) routers should send out RAs (Router Advertisements) with
>> the managed-other-flag [0][1], telling Instances to ONLY use that
>> routers as their default gateways and NOT to use SLAAC to
>> autoconfigure their IP-Address.
>
> OK, so no autonomous flag

No, the "managed other flag" as described in RFC 4862. Meaning that
the Routers should only be used as a default gateway and DHCPv6 should
be used for obtaining a address.

>> The (ip6tables) Security Groups should allow ICMPv6 by default.
>> IPv6 traffic breaks really hard without ICMPv6 traffic, for
>> example PMTU doesn't work properly and breaks IPv6 connections.
> yes, and default ip(6)tables should be in place to block
> VNC-related traffic except to the Virtual Console (as currently VNC
> ports on IPv6 are world-wide-open in BASIC network)!

Yes, but in that case you are talking about the Console Proxy which
should be firewalled properly.

>> In CloudStack we might configure a /48, but tell it to hand out
>> addresses for each instance from a /64 out of that /48. That
>> means we can have 65k Instances in that pod. Some firewall
>> policies block a complete /64 when they see malicious traffic
>> coming from that subnet, so if the subnet is big enough we should
>> try to keep all the IPv6 addresses from one Instance in the same
>> /64 subnet. This could also simplify the iptable rules.
> so one /48 per pod? RIRs provide either /48 or /32 (the latter to
> the providers) IPv6 blocks. So this should then be configurable,
> both per instance and per pod. One /48 per pod still looks large to
> me..

A /48 should be a possibility. If you only have a /64 available that
should be no problem either.