From: Remi Bergsma [mailto:r...@remi.nl]
Sent: 04 May 2015 11:04
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] XenServer and HA: the way forward

Hi all,

Since CloudStack 4.4 the implementation of HA in CloudStack was changed to use
the XenHA feature of XenServer. As of 4.4, it is expected to have XenHA enabled
for the pool (not for the VMs!) and so XenServer will be the one to elect a new
pool master, whereas CloudStack did it before. Also, XenHA takes care of
fencing the box instead of CloudStack should storage be unavailable. To be
exact, they both try to fence but XenHA is usually faster.

To be 100% clear: HA on VMs is in all cases done by CloudStack. It's just that
without a pool master, no VMs will be recovered anyway. This brought some
headaches to me, as first of all I didn't know. We probably need to document
this somewhere. This is important, because without XenHA turned on you'll not
get a new pool master (a behaviour change).

Personally, I don't like the fact that we have "two captains" in case something
goes wrong. But, some say they like this behaviour. I'm OK with both, as long
as one can choose whatever suits their needs best.

In Austin I talked to several people about this. We came up with the idea to
have CloudStack check whether XenHA is on or not. If it is, it does the current
4.4+ behaviour (XenHA selects new pool master). When it is not, we do the
CloudStack 4.3 behaviour where CloudStack is fully in control.

I also talked to Tim Mackey and he wants to help implement this, but he doesn't
have much time. The idea is to have someone else join in to code the change and
then Tim will be able to help out on a regularly basis should we need in depth
knowledge of XenServer or its implementation in CloudStack.

Before we kick this off, I'd like to discuss and agree that this is the way
forward. Also, if you're interested in joining this effort let me know and I'll
kick it off.

Regards,
Remi