In case of #1 timing of reboot will also have impact  and may result to
undesired behaviour as both CloudStack and native HA trying to act on same VM.

Regards,
Anshul

On 04-Jun-2015, at 2:35 pm, Remi Bergsma
<rberg...@schubergphilis.com<mailto:rberg...@schubergphilis.com>> wrote:

To summarise:
#1. rebooting VR is needed for hypervisors that have their own DR (like VMware
and Hyperv) as a restart outside of CloudStack makes it lose its config hence
the VR is unavailable
#2. rebooting is NOT needed for successful live migrations on _any_ hypervisor
(since there was no restart everything still works)
#3. CloudStack 4.6 has persistent config in VR, so rebooting is never needed

The current behaviour in 4.4.3, 4.5.1 and master:
- always rebooting VR when out-of-band detected ==> Works great for #1, but
makes case #2 not work

The previous behaviour:
- never rebooting VR when out-of-band detected ==>  Works great for #2, but
makes case #1 not work

We need something that works for both cases :-)

About #1 and #2:
Can we detect in another way that a VR became unreachable/non-functional and do
an action based on that?

So, if a VR lives on a VMware hypervisor that happens to crash, VMware HA will
start it on another available hypervisor but without config it will not be
reachable on the control network. If we want to do it generic, I’d say that
when a VR is not controllable any more we could reboot it. We could also make
this a setting ‘systemvm auto reboot on control failure’ or whatever we call it.

This would then also be a useful feature in 4.6

About #3:
I’d suggest at least reverting the commit to master, as it makes no sense since
the VR is persistent already.
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/master/server/src/com/cloud/network/router/VirtualNetworkApplianceManagerImpl.java#L2638
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=commitdiff;h=c3515c9

Regards,
Remi

On 04 Jun 2015, at 10:03, Wilder Rodrigues