This commit, after looking at the code for 60 seconds, looks like it
refactors some existing code into methods to make it more testable. Perhaps
there's more nuance than that, but the commit message doesn't point
anything like that out to help me find it.

I'm not trying to be critical of any specific commit, and this is a
community. I don't have any special right to set the expectations on my
own. I'm just stating my opinion, and my opinion is that once a release
branch goes production, there should be no changes to it, save to fix
broken functionality or security. No refactoring, no nice-to-have
enhancements, no formatting fixes, no fixes for theoretical bugs or static
analysis. When we release, we are in a known state, and I don't think we
should perturb that known state unless we really, really need to.
Otherwise, creating bugfix releases to that branch will be painful and more
prone to regressions.

In my opinion, there are two major things that keep us from turning around
quick incremental point releases. One is this issue, the other is letting
pre-existing bugs that aren't regressions block the vote. I will probably
always be sensitive to these things, and if anyone takes offense to that
I'm sorry. I realize that everyone has their own motivations, timelines,
commitments, and pressure to get improvements into the code base, but I
just don't think point releases are the place for most of these, and I
don't see anyone else pushing back, so I figure I need to get the opinion
out there, even if it's a lone one.