On Jun 22, 2015, at 2:55 PM, Rafael Fonseca <rsafons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sebastien, thx for following up so quickly :)
>
> It's because it's a big change that i think it should be done in a major
> release an not a minor,

We all agree on this. Such as change is for a major release.

The question is 4.6 or 4.7 ...

> nevertheless it will be up to the community to
> decide if we should ship it in 4.6.0 of wait for a long time to have this
> in.
>
> I've been waiting a long time for that larger discussion, the currently
> open PR is already the second proposal to improve packaging and the
> previous one was open for over a month.. so i wonder how long it will take
> to let everyone take advantage of it, since the code is all ready to
> ship... if anyone can see a reason or a fix that might not be what they
> want, i can just amend whatever quickly... but other than the mysql issue,
> i don't know what would conflict with anyone's interest.. though feel free
> to show me otherwise :)
>
> Like i said on the PR, this is still not all the changes i'd like to make
> to get a cleaner packaging config, but whatever aesthetical or maintainer
> helpfulness is still needed to be done, can be done later along the path,
> while providing the functionality earlier to everyone. Even if we
> eventually decide to go for a completely different packaging structure like
> using a proper makefile or something like that, most of the cleanup done in
> this PR will just make that switch easier ;)
>
> For me it will just be a few hours of work to chop it all into pieces and
> explain what each bit does, so just let me know if i should focus on this
> straight away or leave it for later and focus on some more needed fixes not
> related to packaging that everyone should agree to get into releases ASAP.

We need to start testing master (a.k.a) 4.6 , identify blockers through testing
and see what needs to get fixed.
I have not had the time to check JIRA, to see if it's already with a 4.6
release and if we already have 4.6 blockers.

> Looking forward for Pyr's input on this :)

Since he is the one who mentioned this feature, I am hoping he can comment soon
on it.

-sebastien