All,

I think we should stick to 2 votes per PR.  Defining types of PRs becomes
difficult bordering on the arbitrary — adding a process complexity and the
potential to start debating if a particular PR is one type or another.

I agree regarding the fast forward, and feel that all PRs should squashed down
to one commit.  Ultimately, intermediate commits that seem informative in a
feature branch become noise in a history as large as CloudStack’s.

To enforce the policy and ensure that PRs are merged in an orderly and correct
manner (i.e. one at time), I think we should consider adopting a tool such as
bors [1] to verify that the merge passes all tests and then performs the merge.
It would some minor modification to require two votes, but I doubt that would
take much effort to implement.  If there is interest, I would happy to make
those changes for the project.

Thanks,
-John

[1]: https://github.com/graydon/bors

---
John Burwell (@john_burwell)
VP of Software Engineering, ShapeBlue
(571) 403-2411 | +44 20 3603 0542
http://www.shapeblue.com

> [...]
>>
>> - Only commit through PR will land on master (after a minimum of 2 LGTM and
>> green Travis results)
>> - Direct commit will be reverted
>> - Any committer can merge the PR.
>
> +1
>
> I’ve been trying to help close PRs, it was difficult at first but then I
> found some tooling to help me do that. I think it’s certainly do-able without
> investing a lot of effort to do it, perhaps can done everyday or every few
> days in a week.
>
> Some suggestions and comments to improve PR reviewing/merging:
>
> - Let's merge the PR commits in a fast forward way instead of doing a branch
> merge that introduces frivolous merge commits. This is one approach to do
> quickly and painlessly:
>
> http://blog.remibergsma.com/2015/05/24/accepting-pull-requests-the-easy-way/
>
> - Let’s try to send PR around on one issue or one broad issue, or against a
> JIRA ticket; but avoid unrelated sub-systems etc
>
> - If there are not many changes (say less than 100-200 lines were changed),
> let's have the changes melded into one commit. This can be done either by the
> PR author or by the committer. The immediate benefit is that all the changes
> will be much easy to port across other branches, easy to view and follow
> git-log, and easy to revert-able.
>
> - Certain PRs that are typographical fixes, doc fixes and tooling related
> fixes - so let’s review and merge them if we’ve at least one green review
> (“LGTM”), though changes to CloudStack mgmt server, agent and plugins
> codebase IMO should have at least 2 green reviews (“LGTM”).
>
>> Goal being to start having a new practice -everything through PR for
>> everyone- which is an easy way to gate our own commits building up to a PR.
>>
>> There is no tooling involved, just human agreement.
>>
>> cheers,
>
> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
> M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com

> CloudStack Software
> Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>
> CloudStack Infrastructure
> Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
> CloudStack Bootcamp Training
> Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>

> intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon
> its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
> believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company
> incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company
> incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd.
> Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is
> operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company
> registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from
> Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

CloudStack Software