Hi Ian,

PrivateDNSName *to me* would be something that one would be able to
> resolve... if displayname.whatever-set-domain.tld is resolvable at some
> point in the system then this change seems sane. Otherwise use a tag.

I suggested Name because that is what the hostname gets set to.  You can
also resolve that name when dns querying the VR (at least on my basic
network setup).  I don't know what display name is used for.  It does not
come across in any of the meta-data from the VR.

> If you want to do a PR totally happy to review it. its been awhile since I
> worked on ec2stack so my memory is a bit foggy if I remember correctly it
> should just be a case of modifying ec2stack/templates/instances.xml adding
> the appropriate key with value of instance.displayname

I'm out for the next few days but I'll have a look next week and see if I
can figure that out.  May be a good solution for now.

cheers
Carlos