Dear all,

I'll give a try at implementing IPv6 in basic zones in the next couple of weeks.
So that's what got the next thing started:

I did some looking through the code and noticed the difference between IPv6 and
IPv4 naming conventions in methods, variables and classes. IPv6 is always
clearly marked as IPv6, while IPv4 is most of the time just called IP. This of
course has historical reasons, as only one type was actively in use when
Cloudstack was first developed. As both are now widely and actively in use, to
aid readability, I would like to propose the following:

- IPv4 specific methods, variables and classes to be named IPv4 instead of IP.
- IPv6 specific methods, variables and classes to be named IPv6.
- Non-type-specific methods, variables and classes to be named IP.

- Of course adhering to the checkstyle naming conventions for methods, variables
and classes.
- Wait until the next major release (maybe 5.0) with renaming the external api
fields.

In my opinion this would aid readability a lot.

Best regards,

Boris Schrijver

TEL: +31633784542
MAIL: bo...@pcextreme.nl