I don't like the rc1 tag. The date tag is more descriptive. and easier to
automate. As for the tag being or not in git doesn't really matter. I used
to rename the released branch to GA-4.4.x after the vote and leave the tag
on there as well. In the end it is the commit-id that is significnant.

--
Daan