Would it be too blunt to propose that we set up a team, composed of any
community members interested, to handle packaging and promote that as 'the
community package'?

Realistically, as a user, it is not really crucial for me that the package
is 100% equal to the official source release.
I'm more interested in a packaged release that works.

For instance, every time we meet packaging issues right after a release we
end up with notes in the release notes of things you have to do manually.

--
Erik