From: ilya [mailto:ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2016 10:16 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Request for comments : VPC Inline LoadBalancer (new
plugin)

Hi Nick,

Being fan of SDN, I gave this proposal a thorough read.

I do have only 1 comment - that you can perhaps can use to reconsider:

"Each appliance will have 2 nics, one for management, and one in the guest
network. "

In general, 2 nics - one going to management and one going to guest - is looked
very negatively upon by internal InfoSec team. This implementation will make an
LB non-compliant from SOX or PCI perspective.

Proposed alternate solution:
Deploy a VM with 2 NICs but put them both on the same guest network (I believe
the support 2 NICs on the *same* guest network has already been submitted
upstream). 1 NIC for MGMT and 1 NIC for GUEST.

Using SDNs ability to restrict communication flow (openvswitch or what not),
only allow specific connections from CloudStack MS to Inline LB on MGMT NIC.
You will need to block all external GUEST communication to MGMT NIC and only
make it talk to CloudStack MS on specific ports.

This approach should preserve the internal compliance and wont raise any red
flags.

Perhaps reach out to a client who requested this feature and ask what they
think, maybe they have not thought this through.

Regards
ilya

PS: If we were to entertain the idea of InLine LB, we would most likely ask for
approach mentioned above.

On 3/24/16 1:18 AM, Nick LIVENS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose a new plugin called the "VPC Inline LB" plugin.
> The design document can be found at :
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=61340
> 894
>
> Looking forward to hear your reviews / thoughts.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kind regards,
> Nick Livens

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the
property of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for
the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print,
distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message.
Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business does not accept any liability for
virus infected mails.