Hi, see in-line

Nux!
www.nux.ro

>>Since we know the MAC address and the /64 prefix we can *calculate* the
>>address
>>a Instance will take. With that we do not have to store the address in a
>>database.
>
> Doing bit of research on this makes me believe that this is a preferred way of
> getting ipv6 address for the instance. Was wondering why we cannot do the same
> for ipV4, but there I guess we will run into uniqueness issue.

Please feel free to correct me, but SLAAC obtained IPv6 addresses will not
always be determinable based on MAC address.
Last I looked at this - because we wanted to somehow use IPv6 in SG zone and
failed :> - some Linux distros and Windows versions can enable privacy
extensions (net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr).

So for the scenario to work, we need to make sure privacy extensions are
switched off - but who knows for how long this will be doable, not to mention
some ISO, PCI etc policies might require it on.

Some random reading from the interwebz, he touches on the subject:
https://major.io/2016/04/17/enable-ipv6-privacy-networkmanager/

IMHO - without knowing all the ugly details behind DHCPv6 and so on - I think
going for DHCP might be the better option in the long run.

Lucian