It is easy to fill out the form and it lets you work on any project.

If you are only going to change a URL, you can just make a request in the dev list and someone with an ICLA on file will do it.
It sounds like you are going to do a lot more.

It is just a good habit for the PMC and contributors to get into.
Getting the paperwork done avoids any questions in the future.

If you ever get active on the code side (testing, code cleanup, etc) you already have the ICLA in place.

Ron