All,

Our effort to move to Debian9 systemvmtemplate seems to be soon coming to
conclusion, the following high-level goals have been achieved so far:

- Several infra improvements such as faster patching (no reboots on patching),
smaller setup/patch scripts and even smaller cloud-early-config, old file
cleanups and directory/filesystem refactorings

- Tested and boots/runs on KVM, VMware, XenServer and HyperV (thanks to Paul
for hyperv)

- Boots, patches, runs systemvm/VR in about 10s (tested with KVM/XenServer and
NFS+SSDs) with faster console-proxy (cloud) service launch

- Disk size reduced to 2GB from the previous 3+GB with still bigger /var/log
partition

- Migration to systemd based cloud-early-config, cloud services etc (thanks
Wido!)

- Strongswan provided vpn/ipsec improvements (ports based on work from
Will/Syed)

- Several fixes to redundant virtual routers and scripts for VPC (ports from
Remi json/gzip PR and additional fixes/improvements to execute update_config
faster)

- Packages installation improvements (thanks to Rene for review)

- Several integration test fixes -- all smoke tests passing on KVM and most on
XenServer, work on fixing VMware test failures is on-going

- Several UI/UX improvements and systemvm python codebase linting/unit tests
added to Travis

Here's the pull request:

I've temporarily hosted the templates here:

http://hydra.yadav.xyz/debian9/

Outstanding tasks/issues:

- Should we skip rVR related tests for VMware noting a reference to a jira
ticket to renable them once the feature is support for VMware?

- Fix intermittent failures for XenServer and test failures on VMware

- Misc issues and items (full checklist available on the PR)

- Review and additional test effort from community

After your due review, if we're able to show that the test results are on par
with the previous 4.9.2.0/4.9.3.0 smoke test results (i.e. most are passing) on
XenServer, KVM, and VMware I would proceed with merging the PR by end of this
month. Thoughts, comments?

Regards.

rohit.ya...@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com