From: Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:26:52 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Replace the default built-in centos template

I like the idea of having two default/built-in templates for users - CentOS and
Ubuntu (or Debian or both?), however, most of the distros don't host all the
templates in all the formats that CloudStack can consume.

The other issues are how do we fix this for users, I propose:

- We don't add these new templates for existing environments/installations to
maintain backward compatibilities and usage. The built-in templates are
available on download.cloudstack.org.

- For new installations, we add these new built-in templates in the
templates.sql file.

However, the old CentOS5.x based built-in template is used in several of the
tests where the tool/env is not same as found in macchinina or other test
templates. To solve this problem, I propose to keep the built-in templates
separate from test-templates -- I've started refactoring smoke tests (in my PR
#2211) to use a new utility 'get_test_template' from marvin that atmost
downloads a test template (currently macchinina) returns them to tests to use.
(I hit some issues where I could not replace the built-in centos template with
macchinina as cert tools/binaries are not available or kernel does not
understand a filesystem type etc. I'm compiling those issues and will work with
Nux and others to eventually get them fixed). I think for reproducibilities (of
running and verifying test/results), we need a test template that is different
from what is shipped in prod cloudstack env (and also small, fast).

- Rohit