Part of this sounds like the Windows shut down process which is familiar to many.

For those who have never used Windows:

Once you initiate the shutdown, it asks the tasks to shut down.
If tasks have not shutdown within a "reasonable period", it lists them and asks you if you want to wait a bit longer, force them to close or abort the shutdown so that you can manually shut them down. If you "force" a shutdown it closes all of the tasks using all of the brutality at its command. If you abort, then you have to redo the shutdown after you have manually exited from the processes that you care about.

This is pretty user friendly but requires that you have a way to signal to a task that it is time to say goodbye.

The "reasonable time" needs to have a default that is short enough to make the operator happy and long enough to have a reasonable chance of getting everything stopped without intervention. If you allow the shutdown to proceed after the interval, while the operator waits then you need to refresh the list of running tasks when tasks end.

Ron