Hi Community,

I try to encounter how HA works. Our goal is it to make it usable with managed
storage like (Netapp Solidfire / maybe it works with CEPH too) so if its
possible.

This is a good guide and for some times we fixed and added the missing keys.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/High+Availability+Developer%27s+Guide<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/High+Availability+Developer's+Guide>
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Host+HA

In the database I found out there are three different types of HA.

If you select in the configuration table "SELECT * FROM `configuration` WHERE
`component` LIKE '%ha%' LIMIT 0,1000;“ you will get three types of components.

1. HAManager
2. HighAvailbilityManager
3. KVMHAConfig

"HAManager and HighAvailbilityManager" are the base which was extended from
Rohit with „KVMHAConfig“ - KVM with stonith fencing.

I understand all things work together but maybe I need to understand the
process a little bit better.

To clarify I write down what I think to each of them. This is what I understand
but please correct me or help me to understand it a little bit better.

—>I found out that if we use managed storage a restart of virtual machines only
works on the same host. This is what I understand the lack of the missing
heartbeat file on the shared storage because we don’t have shared storage like
NFS.

—
"If the network ping investigation returns that it cannot detect the status of
the host, CloudStack HA then relies on the hypervisor specific investigation.
For VMware, there is no such investigation as the hypervisor host handles its
own HA. For XenServer and KVM, CloudStack HA deploys a monitoring script that
writes the current timestamp on to a heartbeat file on shared storage."
—

And

—
For the initial release, only KVM with NFS storage will be supported. However,
the storage check component will be implemented in a modular fashion allowing
for checks using other storage platforms(e.g. Ceph) in the future.
—

We would implement a plugin or extend this for managed storage but at the
moment I need to understand where this should happen. Since managed storage
uses different volumes for each VM we should its not easy to make an storage
heartbeat like NFS. the lack of one missing volume don’t means the hole storage
has an problem so I think its not easy to encounter from one volumes to a
complete storage.

We don’t use KVMHAConfig a the moment and encounter that if a Host goes down
(offline) the virtual machines will not be restarted on another host. They will
only restarted on the host if the host comes back.(online). We don’t want a
hard fencing of the hosts but we want a correct determination whether the host
is still alive. Fencing would maybe in our case a little bit hard because we
don’t have an hard data corruption on entire storage.

Some questions.
1. let's assume correctly that the HA don’t work without an shared storage and
network ping? Is this the cause why our virtual machines will not restarted on
another host? Is this correct or do we have an config problem?
2. Where could the plugin be implemented? Is there a preferred place?
3. If point 1. Is correctly I thought the idea would be to add an global flag
to use the secondary storage (NFS) as heartbeat to find out if there is any
host inactive?

Thanks and Cheers

Sven

__

Sven Vogel
Lead Cloud Solution Architect

EWERK DIGITAL GmbH
Brühl 24, D-04109 Leipzig
P +49 341 42649 - 99
F +49 341 42649 - 98
s.vo...@ewerk.com
www.ewerk.com

Geschäftsführer:
Dr. Erik Wende, Hendrik Schubert, Tassilo Möschke
Registergericht: Leipzig HRB 9065

Support:
+49 341 42649 555

Zertifiziert nach:
ISO/IEC 27001:2013
DIN EN ISO 9001:2015
DIN ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011

ISAE 3402 Typ II Assessed

EWERK-Blog<https://blog.ewerk.com/> |
LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/ewerk-group> |
Xing<https://www.xing.com/company/ewerk> |
Twitter<https://twitter.com/EWERK_Group> |
Facebook<https://de-de.facebook.com/EWERK.IT/>

Auskünfte und Angebote per Mail sind freibleibend und unverbindlich.

Disclaimer Privacy:
Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) ist
vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der
bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung,
Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt. Bitte
informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die
E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) von Ihrem System. Vielen
Dank.

The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) are confidential and
may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is
strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and
then delete it (including any attachments) from your system. Thank you.