Berin Loritsch wrote:
> As to the good enough vs. perfect issue, caching partial pipelines (i.e.
> the results of a generator, each transformer, and the final result) will
> prove to be an inadequate way to improve system performance.

I think caching parts of a pipeline ist a very smart way of optimizing the
cache. One Example:
  - Complex generator (ttl 12h)
  - Transformation (expensive)
  - CIncludeTransformer (cheap in terms of CPU usage,
      includes perheaps something like static header and
      the time of the day). One of the included source is dynamic
      (the time of the day) and has an time to live of one minute.
  - serializer

So the complete pipeline has a ttl of 1 minute, but it makes more sense to
cache the generation and transfomation for 12h instead the complete pipeline
for 1 minute.
And I think, as I understand Stefanos ideas, his cache would adapt to such a
situation (Knowing that the CPU time to save could be maximized be also
caching the first part of the pipeline (if the cache agent makes the
experience that the component is accessed more than one in 12h)).

> For this reason, providing a generic cache that works on whole resources
is
> a much more efficient use of time.

doesn't make more sense then, just to run squid infront of cocoon?

> * We do not have accurate enough tools to determine the cost of any
particular
>    component in the pipeline.

I think, to measure the time for any component/pipeline is quite difficult.
It is allways affected by the system load.

regards
Christoph