Marc Portier wrote:
> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

<snip/>

>> Even the simplest XSLT
>> transformation can't be reversely applied, so now there is no way to
>> understand how an resource should be treated in a symmetric way when
>> requested or uploaded. Oh yes, you can
>>

> hm, do we really need to look at it as symmetric?
> I know we are tempted to do so, but is it a must?
> Is it imposed by current webdav enabled editors?
> (they want to put back where they got I assume?)

<snip/>

> isn't this aggregate example just showing that some GET-URI's are
> to be considered as read-only? (not to be abused for a PUT that is)

I agree. This everlasting strive to ultimate symmetry feels like an
anti-pattern to me. It may lead to mixing of concerns. If you have to
aggregate several items it's likely you've put them separate for a reason.

<snip/>

>> Now for the big question: should we leave this discussion for now,
>> focusing on the upcoming release and take webdavification as one of
>> the major challenges for the next generation (this alone might be a
>> good reason for Cocoon 3.0 IMHO), or shoud we have some more fun on
>> the topic here and now?
>>

> hehe, the avalanche has already started :-)
> managing the change into timing/planning and releases is a
> different aspect, they can (and should) run in parallel IMHO
>
> the bigger challenge of being 10 years ahead is that these fast,
> wild, non-domesticated, associated thoughts here and now aren't
> mature enough to pull of anything and the discussion dries up
> before it started... we shouldn't add a management constraint
> onto that IMHO

All this once more indicates that the most important step forward for the
next Cocoon version is the blocks implementation. This will also allow for a
different "management model" (don't know a better word), which will be
needed if the Cocoon community maintains the current growth rate.

Guido
--

Guido Casper
S&N AG, Competence Center Open Source