On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 15:35, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Bruno Dumon wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 08:12, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>as several of you have already pointed out, a 2.1.1 release seems
> >>to make sense.
> >>
> >>I can make a release next week, but I really would like to have the
> >>scheduling (CommandManager) problem fixed in the release. Is anyone
> >>working already on it?
> >

> > Not over here. If all else fails, we could disable the CommandManager
> > and let the ContinuationsManager start a thread of its own (like e.g.
> > the StoreJanitor does).
> >

> What version of CommandManager are you using?

The one shipping with Cocoon.

>   I am very interested
> in fixing it so that it works all the time.  Also, under what circumstances
> does it break?

Don't know exactly. Here's what I've found out till now:

For me it works with Linux/Sun jdk 1.4.2, it doesn't work with 1.3.1.
For Carsten it doesn't work with Windows/jdk 1.4 either. I've done all
my testing with the Jetty which ships with Cocoon.

I've added some println's here and there and it appears that, with
1.3.1, the CommandManager starts working but stops as soon as Jetty
prints out the following lines:
Fri Aug 29 13:58:07 CEST 2003 Listening for connections ...
13:58:07.575 EVENT  Started SocketListener on 0.0.0.0:8888

It seems that the thread that was executing the commands is somehow not
released (or whathever), so when the ThreadManager wants to execute the
next command it keeps waiting for a thread to be released (this waiting
happens in Doug Lea's Executor). If the "threads-per-processor"
parameter is augmented to "2", then it keeps working.

According to Giacomo, the CommandManager works just fine in a
non-servlet environment.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]