On Saturday, Oct 11, 2003, at 06:01 Europe/Rome, Geoff Howard wrote:

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

I started processing the GT video tapes.
Each talk is about 50/60 minutes long, DV compression is about 10Gb/hour. Means that I have to process 60Gb of stuff.

It needs 8 hours per hour on my G4 1Ghz (at max processing quality). This means that it would take me 1.5 CPU days!!!! to encode the GT, plus another few days to upload it. hope my CPU doesn't melt down.

Do you have a dvd burner? Maybe it'd be better use of bandwidth to just burn it and mail it to the servers (they're here in the states, right?).

they are going to be something around 400Mb at the current encoding bitrate (164Kbps). A CD would be enough, but doing the math

400Mb / 256Kbps = 3,5 hours

I doubt it that snail mail can be that fast ;-) [I thought it was much worse yesterday]

Actually, know what? the encoding is so slow that I could transfer while encoding .... hmmm, does anybody know how to do this? like a SSH-thru symlink?

--
Stefano.