Antonio Gallardo wrote:

Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:

On Saturday, Nov 1, 2003, at 23:29 Europe/Rome, Steve K wrote:

And finally, on a somewhat unrelated subject, one thing that I've
always wanted Cocoon to do may be possible if support for collecting
the XML at each pipeline step is added.  To aid in debugging, I think
it would be very helpful to switch on some kind of debug mode, that
would cause a trace of what pipeline steps where executed and the
state of the XML at each step to be printed out at the bottom of each
page you output to the browser.  This way it is easy for a developer
to see the path though the pipelines the request took, as well as a
snapshot of the XML each step of the way.

This is already there, althought somewhat hidden, check into the "profiler" block.

BTW, there is something that always bugged me about the profiler: the
time that gives you is almost totally useless, while the exposed view
of the pipeline internals is a *great* debugging tool (some people do
it with views, but sometimes you don't know where the problem is so you
might want to see it all).

I propose two changes here:

1) rename the "profiling" pipeline into "debug"
2) remove the timings (they don't make any sense)
3) move the whole thing into core

WTYT?

+1 on 1)

+- ? 2) What are the timings? Sorry, I don't understand this point.

I have a feeling the timings are useless largely because of the granularity of the System.getTimeInMillis() method. On Windows the granularity is 10 ms. If the timing is less than that it registers as 0. Add enough zeros and it will always be less than the total time for the timing.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin