...I was wondering - is this a bug of the component that produces the
SAX events or the XMLByteStreamCompiler? I mean: now it's ok - but should we
silently ignore the problem?

Torsten, I don't understand your concerns. Isn't the fix simply about handling text nodes longer than 32 k? Ok, they shouldn't occur that often (it's half a novel :-) ), but it's possible.

...we duplicate events here and the thereby modify the SAX stream. Should be no problem.... but who knows ;)

with the patch:

 characters(36k)
->
 event
 string 32k
 event
 string 4k

I guess it would be better to have it like this:

 characters(36k)
->
 event
 string 32k
 string 4k

So what goes in comes out the same way.

We could also increasing the max length of a stored
character event in general. ...but that would waste
2 bytes per event. Hm...

What do you think?
--
Torsten