Let's not discuss this to death. I'll fix it :)

Minor suggestion. >32k events do not happen everyday, but <32k events do, a lot. So, instead of adding size to the <32k events, it's better to add some size to >32k events.
> What I mean is:
1) Leave length as it is, 2 bytes.
2) Have one value reserved, say 0xFFFF

Let's say 0x7FFF because the highest bit is reserved

3) In case of >32k event, write first 0xFFFF, and then 32 bit length.

...instead of choping the string into 0x7FFF chunks

This way, old events do not grow larger, only large event header increases - becames larger on 4 bytes.

...I guess I like it even more than chopping up the strings because the additional overhead is fix :)

Excellent
--
Torsten