I had further discussion with Thomas and we found out, that the reason is the DTD handling of IE. If you view the XML (or HTML) documents in render mode, IE searches for the linked DTD. These links point to the old relative locations of the files, exactly where they were before we switched to XML catalogues. At this point when browsing the CVS by web there is no DTD, but the HTML CVS page for this DTD:

The XML page:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-2.1/src/documentation/xdocs/faq/book.xml

If you use the rendering view:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/cocoon-2.1/src/documentation/xdocs/faq/book.xml?rev=1.1

or the text/plain view (and here behaves IE wrongly):
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/cocoon-2.1/src/documentation/xdocs/faq/book.xml?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain

IE resolves the link "../dtd/book-cocoon-v10.dtd" pointing to
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/cocoon-2.1/src/documentation/xdocs/dtd/book-cocoon-v10.dtd

(which is automatically redirected to
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-2.1/src/documentation/xdocs/dtd/Attic/book-cocoon-v10.dtd?hidecvsroot=0&search=None&hideattic=1&sortby=file&logsort=date&diff_format=u)

And there you don't find the DTD, but the Attic CVS description of the DTD, which is a HTML page, which has a reference to another DTD.

In conclusion: It's an issue we simply can not fix besides by removing all links except 'view'. But I guess we won't do this as there is still the possibility to view the page with IE. 2 of 3 links should at least work, 1 does work.

Joerg