Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

<snip/>

You can't rely on the fact that recycle() is always called on your component. The current implementations ECM and Fortress, don't do this under heavy load. The approach using the request data store is reliable.

Woah, that is good to know. Is this considered a bug? I don't think I ever experienced a problem with this.

No, this is not considered a bug. Recycle is only called when the instance is really recycled. Example: if you have a limited pool, with let's say maximum 128 instances. If all this 128 instances are in use, but another one is needed, a new is created but not added to the pool. So when this component is released, recycle() is not called as the component is not pooled. The instance is handled over to the GC.

I suppose that dispose() is called in that case, otherwise we have a big problem!

Sylvain