Rottmann, Lars wrote:

Hi Vadim,

sorry, I don't see it. Where is the problem if I set the JVM memory to 2536M
= 2,536,000,000 and heapsize and freememory to 80,000,000 and 20,000,000?
Can you give me a hint?

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-2.1/src/webapp/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf?rev=1.36&view=auto

 <!--+
     | Store Janitor: the store garbage collector and memory usage controller.
     |
     | WARNING: Be careful with the heapsize and freememory parameters.
     |           Wrong values can cause high cpu usage.
     |
     | Example configuration:
     | Jvm settings:
     |    -Xmx200000000
     | store-janitor settings:
     |    <parameter name="freememory" value="5000000"/>
     |    <parameter name="heapsize" value="196000000"/>
     |
     | It is recommended to have heapsize equal to -Xmx, especially on Sun's
     | JVM which are unable to shrink its heap once it grows above minimum.
     | Freememory should be greater than amount of memory necessary for normal
     | application operation.
     | BUT: The heap size of the memory of the JVM is a little bit less than
     |      the value you specify for -Xmx, so you have to set the heapsize
     |      for the store janitor to a value which is lower (2% less seems
     |      to be a working value).
     +-->

It advises to have heapsize set to the -Xmx value. In your particular situation (-Xms has same vaue as -Xmx) it might not cause any problem, but I it is not generally advised to have conflicting values.

Actually, it is more hazardous to specify heapsize which is just one byte more than really possible heapsize - this could turn off janitor.

Vadim

Lars