I agree with Antonio about the utility of @author tags (I have also found them very
useful), and I also think that the ASF board's concerns about the dangers of
"ownership" are probably overblown.

I don't think the ASF should discourage developers from keeping useful metadata about
the code inside the source files. What better place to put the metadata than in the
code? This makes it more likely to be used and kept up to date than if it was stored
somewhere else, IMHO.

I don't agree with the idea that banning author tags would make the "changes" file
more useful because it would encourage developers to keep it up to date. On the
contrary, I think people are encouraged when you make things easy; I don't think
requiring people to do things the hard way constitutes "encouragement". :-)

If the board insists then ... OK ... but if the board only "discourages" the use of
@author tags on the grounds that they COULD cause problems, then I think Cocoon should
note their concern but keep the @author tags because in THIS CASE they have NOT caused
problems.

Just my 2c.