From: Geoff Howard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, 6 March 2004 2:38 p.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Turning off default MRU store

Corin Moss wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I think the thing to remember here is that it's the Disk Cache
>implementation that has this behaviour, and that it's very easy to use
>a different store type if the user feels it's necessary.  There are
>other, "safer" store implementations we can use - the only problem in
>this case is that the index is kept in memory (which is what makes it
>so fast.) If the user decides that this is inappropriate for them, the
>change to a different store type is very easy to make within the
>config.
>
>I think that moving to a filesystem store would be counter-productive,
>as the thing that JCS provides is total flexibility of store type.
>
>Just my thoughts :)

Ok, I apologize that I just can't look into this myself right now, but
let me try to state what I perceive to be the things we really need so
we can narrow down whether this is the right direction to be going:

1)
- we need a high-performance in-memory cache
- we need that cache to be backed by some sort of persistence for two
reasons
  first, so that cached items aren't lost between server starts
  second so that items bumped off the memory cache can still be
preserved as the assumption is that pulling a cached item off disk is
still faster than regenerating the entire pipeline.  for example, the
most popular 100 items are served in memory, but the rest are on disk.
(and at shutdown, the 100 in-memory ones go to disk).

** is JCS (properly configured) a good way to meet both of these
requirements?

CM: Yes.  A JCS store can be configured to use an MRU store (the test
config provided does just this.) This MRU store is in turn configurable
- number of objects catered for, what type of store (memory etc.) The
swapping to disk based store is handled in the same way as Cocoon
currently does - objects are dropped out of MRU store into diskbased
store. The only difference is that the "disk based" store can in fact be
any of the several stores supported by JCS (remote server, disk, JISP
etc.)

At shutdown, things can be configured to store to disk (both store, and
index.)  The only issue is that in the event of an abnormal shutdown the
index can be lost (this is only when the index is kept in memory of
course - other store types which use pure disk based index storage
wouldn't be effected by this.)
--

2) currently we accomplish both of those transparently with a
transient-store configured to use a persistent-store.  we have some

** is JCS (properly configured) a good way to meet this requirement?

CM: Yes.  You could very easily configure a separate role for transient
store which would use a different group / region (JCS terms.)  This
region would be configured to use _only_ memory store, with no support
for persistence.  This could be accomplished as is, by changing roles
appropriately, and providing different config in the xconf for the
transient store.
--

3) we have one subsystem which goes direct to the persistent-store right

at shutdown which could just as easily go to the in-memory front-end as
long as the persistence between restarts still happened.

** is JCS (properly configured) a good way to meet this requirement?

CM: Yes.  Again, this could either be written to the default store,
which would go to MRU, and then disk at shutdown, _or_ a different group
/ region could be created and configured which would go straight to
disk, without an in-memory MRU involved.
--

I am not following the details well here about the persistence issue.
If we don't use the Disk Cache, what other persistent (on disk, survives

restarts) options are there?

CM: As I mentioned before, the only issue which needs more investigation
is abnormal shutdown with an in-memory index, however, this could
theoretically be up to the user to decide - if their application
requires an absolute guarantee of persistence at all times, they could
configure it to use an on-disk index at all times - this would require
no class change, just a change in the CCF.

Hope that answers your questions properly :)  I have a horrible feeling
that my email client won't format this nicely ;)
--

Geoff

us online at http://www.tvnz.co.nz