Title: Message
I am trying to publish xml to pdf. the process is established and works most of the time.

Would someone know why I sometimes get the cocoon error "The XML declaration may only appear at the very beginning of the document." on perfecly valid XML?

Description:org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Could not read resource file:/D:/Publisher/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/cocoon/test/test.xml: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The XML declaration may only appear at the very beginning of the document.

The XML declaration is indeed at the top and a sample fragment is below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "company x//DTD company x Technical Publication//EN" "c:\documentum\xml applications\companyx.dtd"
[<!ENTITY fr PUBLIC "-//company x//Contact fr//EN" "fr.xml">
<!ENTITY uk PUBLIC "-//company x//Contact uk//EN" "uk.xml">
]>
<!--ArborText, Inc., 1988-2001, v.4002-->

I hope this is a common enough error with a resolution?

The cocoon server is Windows to which I am supplying zipped xml/jpgs remotely via the browser. I don't have much information beyond that.

Thanks very much, Lyteck