Rethinking our version structure and moving to subversion seems to
indicate that we should rethink our repository usage.

I think we should use one repository per major version, so one
repository for all 2.x versions (except 2.0.x versions that we
leave the way it is).

Then one repository for testing new stuff, like the new block
system - this will be the sandbox or scratchpad repository.

And finally - as we already have - the site repository.

As recently reported we already have incompatible changes from 2.1.4
to 2.1.5 (which we accepted to have!) and as I pointed out lately
I want to remove some deprecated stuff to continue the development
of the current version. And we have some major changes, like the
Cocoon forms that justify a minor version changes anyway.

So, I think, we should:
- tag the current cvs in order to create a branch if required
- change the version to 2.2, so this will be our next release
- try to follow the versioning guide (which is a work-in-progress)
- move to subversion whenever we want
- if the need for a 2.1.5 release arises we create a branch,
  revert the incompatible changes and use the branch

This allows us to continue the development of Cocoon in any direction
without worrying about versions and how this fits into the development
of blocks. Blocks (and perpaps other features) can be developed
independently in a sandbox/scratchpad and when they are mature enough
can be moved in the main trunk. This can then result in a new
major or a new minor version. We can decide this when the time comes.

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG
http://www.osoco.net/weblogs/rael/