I have an additional ant task that uses the following syntax:

    <poolSetter file="${webapp.dir}/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf" isSitemap="false"
                poolMin="16" poolMax="32" poolGrow="4"
                element="session-manager authentication-manager
xslt-processor xml-parser xml-serializer xml-deserializer"/>
    <poolSetter file="${webapp.dir}/sitemap.xmap" isSitemap="true"
                poolMin="16" poolMax="32" poolGrow="4"
                element="generator:file"/>

It can set pool sizes for components in a sitemap and in the cocoon.xconf.
If it is of general interest I can commit the source.

Carsten