On 24 Jun 2004, at 15:37, Ugo Cei wrote:

Dear Cocooners,

I've just started to take a look at the JCR (a.k.a. JSR-170) Reference Implementation from Slide, after having read the latest JSR draft, and I feel like exploring the possibilities of its usage inside Cocoon.

First thing I tried to do is an implementation of the o.a.c.components.repository.Repository, but then I started to think that it didn't make much sense. Our Repository interface is meant to provide a virtual repository API on top of different implementations (only a WebDAV impl. is available at the moment). But isn't this just what JCR is about? Wouldn't it be better if we dropped our own Repository and adopted the JCR APIs? We already have a WebDAV and a local filesystem implementation available in the RI (plus an implementation on top of a "virtual filesystem" which I haven't grokked yet). Of course, nothing prevents us from wrapping a JCR repo inside an Avalon component, if we want.

Then I thought about doing a Generator that could stream the XML representation of a JCR repo provided by the API. Should be a piece of cake as there's a method that streams it to a ContentHandler.

In order to show off what can be done with Cocoon+JCR, we could try to clone the Web frontend distributed by Day at http://jsr170tools.day.com or some part of it.

Thoughts? Questions? Volunteers?

I am personally talking to David to try to include JAAS and transactions into the JSR-170 spec, as VNU's going to use the spec for our own repository and we need few features.

So, for me, if that means tight integration between Cocoon and JCR, a big +1, but for the moment, wait for the final version of the spec :-P

Pier