basic form -- with extensive unit test coverage, and mock usage, you really do have two clients for every piece of code -- the system and the test harness.

If you don't maintain loose coupling and low dependencies you find out really quickly, and get a system where making small changes breaks a lot of seemingly unrelated tests, which is incredibly annoying.

-Brian