On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:57:08 +0200, Daniel Fagerstrom
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >I was thinking about using SWT as well, but then I realized that SWT
> >doesn't offer a way of inserting the resulting XML in the original
> >stream: all it does is delete the XML inside the <source:write/>
> >element, providing some status information (see SWT#reportResult()).
> >Am I missing something?
> >
> I have extended SWT so that you can post XML as well: <source:post/>.

Oh, I see. Well, I spent a few brain cycles on it, and I have to admit
that I'm not convinced that the Source/SWT way is the way to go. The
idea of a Source, to me, is that whatever I write to it can be read
back at the same location: this happens with files and with HTTP as
well (if you PUT and GET). POST is a different beast and it belongs to
RPC rather than to streams.

Same issue goes for SWT. Apart from having quite a few discussions
about it (as it "tees" the pipeline, which - design wise - is not a
good idea for many of us), it wasn't quite conceived to do this job.
Also, I haven't seen your implementation, but is it compatible with
the "old" SWT output in terms of the resulting XML or will it break
compatibility?

All in all, I'd rather favor the transformer approach ATM: it seems to
me that it fits much better in the overall Cocoon architecture: you
build your request inside the pipeline, pass it through a component
which performs the POST and grab the result (something you can,
besides, do a using a cocoon:// src to the WSProxyGenerator). But I'm
open to change my mind.

Anyone else cares to comment?

--
Gianugo Rabellino