Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

Le 1 oct. 04, à 14:10, Vadim Gritsenko a écrit :

...Can you say in couple of words why one would want a PGP key, and why one would want to sign them? I'm curious about all this because all PGP keys are used for is the release signing, and for email there is S/MIME standard supported by all mail agents.

But for S/MIME you need a certificate, don't you? (trying not to be silly, dunno much about this really ;-)

Check my cert :-) And add to your cert manager while at it.

So, if we need PGP keys for release signing anyway, it might be a good idea to sign them so that we can use them for secure mail as well,

I'm a bit ignorant about PGP & email, why PGP if S/MIME is standard, and it is built-in into all clients? This also means, that anybody can verify your S/MIME, while all that PGP signature currently means to me (and most of other email recipients) is some gibberish on top & bottom.

Many folks here have S/MIME cert already, and you can get yours too for free at thawte.com. Question, is there anybody in our community who is thawte's notary?

Vadim