Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

Pier made me realize that there are 3 different issues on the table regarding real blocks:

 1) classloading isolation
 2) pojoification
 3) service isolation

and, interestingly enough, they are orthogonal.

Tani was born to prototype 1.
Butterfly was born to prototype 2.

But what I really care is 3!!! and Pier made me realize that you don't need to have neither 1 nor 2 to achieve 3!!!

The key is *very* subdle and, in fact, was hard for me to realize before.

Let me show you with an example:

 <map:transformer name="blah" class="org.apache.blah.Blah"/>

 <map:transform type="blah" src="blah.src"/>

This design is 5 years old and does *THIS* really mean? it means that the sitemap will lookup a "component" identified by a "class" cast it to the functional group (in this case, a transformer), reference it with its local name and used with further parameters (the src="").

Now, look at this

 <map:transform name="blah/*" uri="http://apache.org/blah/Blah"/>
   <map:param name="src" value="{1}.src"/>
 </map:transform>

Can you elaborate on this syntax? This reminds me of the pipeline services we discussed about 2 years ago [1] (wow, already? Time goes fast!), but I don't understand the pattern in the transformer name (blah/*).

Sylvain

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103787313407324&w=2