Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
> > >
> > Well, I like the idea of deploying them inside of Cocoon.
> I'm not sure
> > why the Portlet spec says they should be web apps.
> >
> I might be wrong but afaiu the spec, it only says that a
> portlet should be deployed as a web app. But in my
> understanding this does not include that it runs as a real
> web application.
> So deploying them inside of Cocoon seems to conform to the spec.

Ok, I have thought about this: running the portlets as a web app
inside Cocoon sounds like a great idea, but emulation a servlet
engine or even worse an app server seems not like the easiest
thing to do.
I looked briefly at Jetspeed-2 and they are using a different
approach. You deploy a portlet into jetspeed as a war file and
then it seems that jetspeed deploys the portlet web application
into Tomcat. Don't know how that works :(
But if this is compatible to different servlet engines than
it seems like a good compromise: the portal is used for
deployment of portlets and the portal delegates it to the
underlying servlet engine.

Thoughts?
Carsten