I already sent this to the users list but was asked to redirect this problem
to the dev list, so here it is:

Instead of the "normal" tab indentation of my xml files, all files
serialized by the XMLSerializer have the tabs replaced with 	 entities.

The source of an xHTML-file which is returned now looks like this:

&#9;&#9;<table>
&#9;&#9;&#9;<tr>
&#9;&#9;&#9;&#9;<td width="75">
&#9;&#9;&#9;&#9;&#9;<b>User:</b>
&#9;&#9;&#9;&#9;</td>
&#9;&#9;&#9;&#9;<td>
&#9;&#9;&#9;&#9;&#9;<input name="ID" type="text" size="15" />
&#9;&#9;&#9;&#9;</td>
&#9;&#9;&#9;</tr>
&#9;&#9;<table>

This messes up the output in the browser (in the style definition the CSS
styles are not interpreted cause they're full of those entities), my xml
profiles - everything that's serialized with the XMLSerializer. When I
switch to the HTMLSerializer I don't have this problem.
I neither have it with JDK 1.4.2 and Cocoon 2.1.5 nor with JDK 1.5 and
Cocoon 2.1.6, so it must be the combination of Java 5 and Cocoon 2.1.6.

The configuration in the sitemap looks as follows:

<map:serializer name="xhtml.full"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer" mime-type="text/html"
pool-grow="2" pool-max="64" pool-min="2">
        <doctype-public>-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
Transitional//EN</doctype-public>

<doctype-system>http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd</doc
type-system>
        <encoding>ISO-8859-1</encoding>
        <indent>yes</indent>
</map:serializer>

"Yes/no" for the indent parameter doesn't make a difference btw.

This problem can be reproduced on other computers (with Java 5 + Cocoon
2.1.6).

So, please help me to get my normal tab back! ;)

Thanx for your help,
Stefan