Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
<snip/>

What I want is something like this:

 - request comes
 - sitemap gets it
 - matcher matches
 - controller is executed and populates beans in the request context
 - pipeline is invoqued with access to the request context
 - response goes

Now, this can happen right now in flow and JXtemplate. If we don't need state management, this is just like having a better action model with XSP-like code recompilation.

But the whole point of this discussion is: do we need taglibs?

I'm sorry, but I agree with Miles, we don't: all we need is a velocity/garbage-like template system and recompilable java controllers.

Everything else is making a step backwards.

Stefano, for those that skipped taglibs in their path to Cocoon (e.g me!), can you explain what you don't like about them? I presume you're okay with a jxtemplate like syntax, but what you don't like is the fact that I can write my own taglib, thus hiding logic not in my controller, but in a taglib class somewhere. Is that it? Presumably, you wouldn't also be against, for example, implementing the FormsTransformer as a part of a templating system? i.e. having the template put the widget values straight into the SAX stream.

Have I understood, or are you getting at something else?

Regards, Upayavira