Roy G. Biv wrote:

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

No, I disagree: there is a place for generation and there is a place for transformation. They are different things and both have a reason to exist.

I see where the statement comes from, but doesn't processing begin by loading the template file? Data injection from flow is step 2. Loading the template file seems like the generation step to me, not the data injection.

Why would it begin with loading the template? The process begins with the controller accessing the model and then making a determination of what to do next. It might need to go back to the model to obtain another piiece of information to display an alternate screen before displaying the one it collected the inital data for, for example.

The template should only be accessed when the data is ready to be manipulated, not before.

With XSLT/STX, the stylesheet is the manipulative/transformative vector. With a flow template transformer, it's the flow object model. With the i18n transformer, it's the l10n catalog(s).

I don't understand this. With these examples the "manipulative/ransformative vector" is the template, not the object model. That is what is being operated upon. All of the above are transformers and the all operate the same way; they are fed SAX events and output SAX events based upon the XSLT Stylesheet, the template, or the I18n elements.

Your dividing line seems somewhat arbitrary. What am I missing?

I don't think it is arbitrary at all.

Ralph