On Dec 6, 2004, at 8:49 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

Le 6 déc. 04, à 15:41, Glen Ezkovich a écrit :

On Dec 6, 2004, at 8:14 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

Le 6 déc. 04, à 15:07, Vadim Gritsenko a écrit :

Reinhard Poetz wrote:
IIRC we aggreed that we like the current syntax of JXTemplate. Exception: We deprecate the #{} notation in favour of ${xpath:....}.

If nobody said this already (I have 150 or so mails to go ...), more than one EL per template is clear FS to me. I'd be in favor of specifying EL at the TemplateGenerator declaration time, and would not go more granular than this...

+1, it might be good to have pluggable languages but run-time switching is definitely FS - and confusing as well.

Thank you. Think this approach is applicable to the tag vs. attribute debate?

Sure. Having mixed languages or mixed tag/attributes templating mechanisms in the same template sounds equally confusing.

LOL. It did seem obvious to me. Should never have phrased it as a question.

I think this might also work in other ways as well. Considering the heat of the taglib debate (where, I think a lot of misunderstanding occurred on both sides), this might be able to get the benefits of using a taglib like approach to the implementation of template generators/transformers. Same basic component gets a tag/attribute library evaluator (excuse the phrase, brain freeze occurred concerning the proper term ... or maybe I got it right ;-)). Seems that this way the only difference between a JXTG and a SQLTG would be the way they were configured in the sitemap and the library they were configured to use.

The approach could be flexible enough to allow any combination to be configured, allowing those who think they have such a use case, to commit virtual suicide. Saner minds can do their best to prevent abuse by threatening immediate termination upon such egregious configuration of components. ;-)

Glen Ezkovich HardBop Consulting glen at hard-bop.com http://www.hard-bop.com

A Proverb for Paranoids:
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
- Thomas Pynchon Gravity's Rainbow