Le 10 déc. 04, à 15:05, Merico Raffaele a écrit :

Hi Bertrand

As you maybe remember, this level of SOC is a main topic of my job.
Although I do not understand all details of the attribute-based
transformation, I actually see the following limitations (L) and
disadvantages (D):..

Thanks for speaking up!

L) The HTML-template to XSLT transformation is limited to one "level" of
data access (i.e. what do you do if you want to process XPATH expressions
that are in the XML-data stream?).

Hmm...go to straight XSLT maybe?

I currently don't envision using this templating system for more than simple/common stuff: keep it simple for simple cases, move up to XSLT for the rest.

Actually it would be easy to include partial XSLT transforms in our templates, so that the web designer can ask an expert to write the hard stuff.

L) How would you solve case specific (if) rendering within a for-each="..."?

Is that what you mean?

...D) I'm not sure if the web designers would be very happy to work with a
mixed XSL/XPATH syntax, that's not familiar to them (i.e. <div
apply-templates="node()"/> or <h2>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</h2>).

The node() thing can be easily eliminated by making it the default value.

For the rest, I think the advantages in terms of implementation far outweigh the disadvantages, people will have to learn some syntax anyway.

And not inventing a new syntax means using one that is documented, there's tons of XPath info out there.

...D) This approach needs an additional transformation step.

Yes, but it's certainly cacheable.

...In my opinion for the web designer it would be enough if they would have
basic tags of procedural logic like <ctpl:if/> and <ctpl:for-each> bundled
with unlimited XPATH capabilities.

I'm currently porting my "static" template language based on XSLT/XPATH 1.0
to XSLT/XPATH 2.0. As soon it is mature I will make it available for
reflection to this list...

Bring it on, it doesn't need to be mature, experimental is good enough! Release early, release often...

-Bertrand