Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

Now for the instructions (jx:forEach etc) we have the question if they should be choosed:

1. Programatically: There is an abstract base class with common template generator functionality. To implement e.g. JXTG this base class is extended. And the extended class enumerates the instructions that should be used and also choose parsing strategy etc.

2. Configuration: Instructions or set of instructions are made components and connected to the template generator in the configuration.

3. Within the template language: There are special instructions in some common base template language that allow the user to include sets of (Java written) instructions.

I would prefer the configuration way find the programatic way ok and be against the within the template language way.
WDYT?

This really looks like just an implementation detail... I would think that the configuration way makes it easier (psycologically) for people to add their own instructions than the other two. #1 is cleaner than #3 and less avalonish than #2.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of people adding their own keywords to the template language... just like the sitemap, it should be possible but not easy, so that people would feel discouradged to do it. So probably #1 would be my choice.

Sitemap currently is configured with an XML file which describes all sitemap keywords (sitemap-language.xml), and we do not hear about folks messing with it. So I'd say #2 is good too, as long as configuration is a reference to a configuration file which is tucked into cocoon.jar - same as for the sitemap.

Vadim