Upayavira wrote:

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

Yes, an installer, or more specifically a "new project wizard", is one the goals of Lepido. However, I may seem overkill for a newcomer that just wants to try out Cocoon to add another huge download to the alreay large Cocoon distro.

So this effort is welcome. The licence problem seems to be a blocker though, since a graphical installer is supposed to make people's life easier, and having to download the installer libraries separately is definitely not easy!

The author has since identified that the LGPL licenced jars are either his own (and can be relicensed) or inessential. So there doesn't seem to be a problem, which is good. (I did find some ant tasks (Roxes) for creating windows shortcuts,etc, which are cool, but they are GPL :-( )

The question is, how deeply would we want to integrate this installer into our release processes, etc. E.g. whenever someone adds a new block, they'll need to rebuild the installer config to take it into account (an XSLT on gump.xml), and all documentation would need to be rewritten to take it into account. Also, a little blurb put into the gump.xml file so that the installer can say "This block does XYZ".

As long as the necessary information exists in gump.xml (and yes, some descriptive text would be useful) generating the installer file can be part of the release process. It can even be actually part of the installer launch process.

Anyway, I'll take this a little further - first I'll get the code relicensed so I can do a better demo, then I'll work out how to do the gump XSLT, and then I'll demo it.

Great!

Sylvain