On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 14:41, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just committed the inital version under
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks/spring-app/trunk
>
> The readme.txt explains howto include the block in the build and howto
> see the nice example :)
>
> The block is not finished yet. You currently are able to define a spring
> application context on a per sitemap base and can use flow and the
> service manager to lookup your beans - a simple example for flow is
> included.
> Currently missing is the chaining of spring contexts and some further
> glue code.
>
> I think we should use this block as a prototype and discuss/see what
> else is needed/can be done. So everyone is of course invited to improve
> the functionality.
>
> Carsten

Hi  Carsten,

first: I really appreciate work towards Spring integration into Cocoon.
Unfortunately I'm a old Cocoon 2.1.x guy and I do not know Cocoon 2.2
very good. However, I'm using Spring and Cocoon 2.1.x heavily and want
to tell you some of my thoughts.

I looked at the example you (Carsten) provided in the spring-app block.
The flow.js is as follows:

function test() {

    var component = cocoon.getComponent("spring-test");
    var core = cocoon.getComponent("cocoon-core");

    cocoon.sendPage("test", { "message" : component.getMessage(),
                              "configuration" :
core.getSettings().getConfiguration()});
}

What I don't like in my Spring/Cocoon apps (which is also the problem here) is:
Spring is great in dependency injection and I want to avoid obtaining
components direct via any component manager.

So, a short idea to solve this could be to extend the flow declaration in the
sitemap:

<map:flow language="javascript">
    <map:script src="flow.js">
    </map>
</map:flow>

MyBean is than automatically "injected" into the flow context so that i can
simply write sth. like

function test() {
  myBean.getAProperty();
}

This is not only related to flow and Spring but to flow use and dep. injection
in general doesn't matter what container is used.

Now, I will go and play with Cocoon 2.2 and Spring a bit. Thanks Carsten, nice
work.

--
Rolf Kulemann