Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

Our current (controversial ;) ) plan is to consider the sitemap and the component aspect of the original block proposal as separate concerns and (at least initially) solve them separately.

I propose less controversial plan.

As the first step, implement what you call "sitemap blocks", but call them simply "blocks". Own classloader, full classloading isolation, block protocol, exposing direct sitemap components: generators, transformers, serializers.

I'm working on this part and I'm using the names that you all love ;)

As the second step, implement "components block" *on top of* "sitemap blocks". This introduces second classloader (one is public, to share component interfaces, and one is private, to contain components implementation and libraries), and logic for managing classloader trees. Still call it simply "block".

I and Pier find this a mix of concern of reasons that you can find in the archive. If we leave the mix of concern issue for the moment, your plan involves *waiting* on the first step. That is for sure uncontroversial, waiting on various component management refactorings and so on, has been the main activity for most of us, most of the time during the years that has past since Stefano's original proposal.

Pier's proposal to actually start *doing* something about the "component block" part of the equation right now, was way cooler, IMHO.

I believe it when I see it ;-)

--
Stefano.